Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove location information from Mac Photos seems impossible

I accidentally turned on GPS information for photos taken from my android device.

Once imported in Photos for Mac (V.3) I have tried to remove the location information but it seems impossible.

I've read that in previous versions of Photos and in iPhoto there was a button 'Remove Location Info' but this doesn't exist anymore!

I have tried to manually modify the location text field, setting it to empty location, but that doesn't work.

Did really Apple removed this basic feature to completely remove the location information from our photos?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2019 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 5:39 AM

There should be a "Remove Location" command in the Image > Location menu, if a photo is selected. It is still there in Photos 4.0:

Add titles, descriptions, and more to photos using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

You can remove a photo’s location information or restore its original location information. 
In the Photos app  on your Mac, select the photos you want to change.
Choose Image > Location, then choose Remove Location or Revert to Original Location.
If you manually assigned location information to a photo that did not have it, Revert to Original Location removes the location information you assigned.

Alternately, you can remove the location information by exporting the image from Photos without the location included. This will wipe the GPS from the exported file and you can reimport it without GPS tags. But I would not throw away the location information for my archived photos. It can be very useful. I remove it only for shared photos.

You can disable the locations for any photos you are sharing from Photos in Photos > Preferences > General.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2019 5:39 AM in response to groobie

There should be a "Remove Location" command in the Image > Location menu, if a photo is selected. It is still there in Photos 4.0:

Add titles, descriptions, and more to photos using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

You can remove a photo’s location information or restore its original location information. 
In the Photos app  on your Mac, select the photos you want to change.
Choose Image > Location, then choose Remove Location or Revert to Original Location.
If you manually assigned location information to a photo that did not have it, Revert to Original Location removes the location information you assigned.

Alternately, you can remove the location information by exporting the image from Photos without the location included. This will wipe the GPS from the exported file and you can reimport it without GPS tags. But I would not throw away the location information for my archived photos. It can be very useful. I remove it only for shared photos.

You can disable the locations for any photos you are sharing from Photos in Photos > Preferences > General.

May 13, 2019 6:05 AM in response to léonie

As you can see, I've selected an image with gps metadata and there isn't any "Remove Location" option.

As per the other suggestion, I don't want to remove the location for exported photos, I want to remove this info from Photos app itself. So Hide Location wouldn't help as the information would be still there

May 13, 2019 6:48 AM in response to groobie

Probably the user guide needs updating and the command has been renamed to "Hide". I am currently on a Mac with a different system from your system, so I cannot compare this.

Photos never did actually remove the location information, even when the command still used to be called "Remove Location". We could always revert to the original location, even after clicking "Remove location". This just kept Photos from using the location and showing the photos on the map. But photos is always preserving the original image file, exactly as you originally imported it. This lossless workflow is one of the basic design principles of Photos.

If you do not want the GPS information in Photos, even hidden, you have to remove the GPS tags from your photos before you import them to Photos.

You can do this with the Preview.app. Use the "Tools > Show Inspector" menu in Preview. Click the "GPS" tab, then "Remove location".

Or export the photos and import the modified versions.

Remove location information from Mac Photos seems impossible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.