Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get "lost" location/GPS data from iPhone pix?

When I view pictures in Photo, my Mac will organize pictures by location, which is awesome. If I move pictures out of Photo into a finder folder (which I often do to sort differently), it isn't obvious how to find the location information. I would have assumed I could use "Get Info" to see the GPS coordinates, but it's almost never there. Does the GPS location get stripped off when moving pictures out of Photo?

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 8:26 PM

Thanks, Rich, I think you found the issue. I wasn't exporting, I was dragging and dropping. Apparently dragging from Photo to a folder doesn't necessarily include location data. Using the Export command, I at least have the option of including (or not) the GPS info.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 28, 2019 12:46 AM in response to Rich839

Dragging and dropping will just save a preview, without data. Only with exporting as described by Rich you will have the full control over the quality and the embedded metadata.

But it will depend on the system version you have installed, which of the methods will work. Which version of Photos and MacOS X do you have installed?

• Only macOS 10.14 Mojave can show the locations in the Finder in column view, as shown by OT. This feature is one of the nice new features in Mojave. In earlier versions of MacOS X the Finder can show you the GPS tags in the Info, if you export the Photos correctly. But you have to click the tiny disclosure triangle to the left of "More Info" in the Info panel to see them

How do I get "lost" location/GPS data from iPhone pix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.