Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Hardware Test not working - El Capitan (iMac 2009, 8GB)

Hello:

I work with an iMac (24-inch, Early 2009), 3GHz and 8GB Memory running with OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).

Due a to flashing-screen issues I want to do a Hardware Test.

I followed the steps pressing the key "D" right before starting but nothing happened

(the computer just started normally).

I found a thread here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7473407) with a link to a Github* (hhttps://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest) with, apparently, an utility to run AHT in obsolete machines but I'm maybe I misunderstood the "D" method.

*I’m not sure which link should download cause I don’t know what number comes (F2218??) after my iMac ID (iMac9,1)

Thanks in advance!

h

Posted on May 13, 2019 3:48 PM

12 replies

May 14, 2019 5:34 AM in response to Hummin

AHT isn't always conclusive. If it says there's a problem you can be sure there is one but just because it reports no problem doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

If you want to check for incompatible software, download and run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Page icon in your reply window. See video:

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

May 17, 2019 5:35 PM in response to Hummin

A. BitDefender is unnecessary software. Anti-virus programs can destroy normal computer operation. There are no know Mac viruses at this time.

B. See if you can find the file(s) using one of these programs. If you go Finder/View/Show Path Bar, it will show you where it is located.

EasyFind – Spotlight Replacement

Find Any File

D. FileVault and the Firewall are your choice. Both add security. If you are going through a router, you should already have a Firewall.

May 13, 2019 7:31 PM in response to macjack

Thanks for your quick reply! Also, it works!

Fortunately I still have the discs so:

1) Put "Application Install DVD" disc

2) Restarted the machine

3) Pressed "D" key, right after the computer started.

P.S.: The Test turned out clean (I did both of them, Standard and Extensive) so I don't have an idea why the flashing/freeze screen… Most of the times that occurs when playing a video like Youtube but I think I should start a new thread about it.

Thanks!

h

May 17, 2019 6:40 AM in response to Hummin

Remove the adware by clicking on the Remove button within Etrecheck.

Uninstall CleanMyMac as per the developer's instructions, it's as bad as malware.

Uninstall BitDefender.

Reinstate SIP (System Integrity Protection).

startup in Recovery Mode and choose Terminal.

At the prompt enter:

csrutil enable

Press Return

Restart your Mac.

After this your Mac should run faster.

May 17, 2019 5:16 PM in response to macjack

Thanks for keeping the track, much appreciated!

I followed the steps, so I hope the Mac works faster now, thanks! Could I ask some questions?

A) I understand that BitDefender should be uninstalled as an unnecessary software, is it correct?

B) For the curious out there; I installed the controversial CleanMyMac on 2016 just to check it. Days before, in order to uninstalled it I wrote to MacPaw. They sent me an application called "Remove CMM3", I ran it until it finished and forget about it. So, I'm surprised that years before there were still files on my machine…

(Note: I ran again the application and wrote to the company explaining the situation).

D) EtreCheck suggested enable Gatekeeper preferences, but I didn't find if it also recommends enable FileVault and/or Firewall? Should I activate them? (I use mainly Ethernet connection).

Thanks in advance!

h

Apple Hardware Test not working - El Capitan (iMac 2009, 8GB)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.