Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove invasive app data without erasing the phone or iPad

I have a couple of iOS devices. On an iPad I recently discovered that when you have any Google app installed, in this case YouTube, and you’re signed in, that information is retained by both Google and iOS. The only way to get rid of it to reset (erase everything) the phone. 

YouTube left crumbs behind, and iOS doesn’t care. I erased the app by going to settings > general > storage > YouTube > Delete App. This method promised that it would erase all app data. Upon re-installing YouTube, opening the app signed into the same account I was using earlier. This is beyond rude and creepy. 

Does anyone know how to properly erase the app and its data without resetting the phone?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 13, 2019 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 8:07 AM

With YouTube, iOS does erase all data when you delete the App. But when you reinstall the App, and sign back into your YouTube account, YouTube, which has cached your account data on their servers, reinstalls it to the App. The same thing would happen with the Kindle app and your Amazon account, or the Google Drive App and your Google accounts.

Your account data is kept and stored on the company’s site for the service you made the account with. They are the ones putting your data back when you use that same account on a new install. It is not Apple caching your Youtube account data - it is YouTube.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2019 8:07 AM in response to gaganodi

With YouTube, iOS does erase all data when you delete the App. But when you reinstall the App, and sign back into your YouTube account, YouTube, which has cached your account data on their servers, reinstalls it to the App. The same thing would happen with the Kindle app and your Amazon account, or the Google Drive App and your Google accounts.

Your account data is kept and stored on the company’s site for the service you made the account with. They are the ones putting your data back when you use that same account on a new install. It is not Apple caching your Youtube account data - it is YouTube.

May 13, 2019 7:56 PM in response to gaganodi

Well, before you sign up with/for anyone/anything, you best read the entire Terms of Use and Privacy Policies of the particular company; most will use/mine your data for various purposes. Unfortunately, that is not illegal in the US, so you need to be selective. Personally, I do not do anything Google because of their corporate policy (which includes Youtube) and Facebook (or any other social media).

As for your question, I am not sure, but would assume that in order to get rid of everything, you may have to reset the device.

May 14, 2019 6:03 AM in response to babowa

Hi babowa,

Even so, my issue continues to be with Apple. I switched from Android to iPhones for this exact reason. They are allowing misbehaving companies like Google (and all the copy cats) To abuse user trust. Apple needs to be truthful in the words displayed on the screen. When it says “delete all related data”, they should mean it.

I completely agree with you on how poor the businesses are regulated in the US when it comes to consumer privacy and protection in the digital world. Also yes, if I were smart I would be reading the terms and conditions, but I am like the majority of people on our planet who would rather use the app than spend a few hours reading every app’s T&Cs.

May 14, 2019 6:19 AM in response to gaganodi

gaganodi wrote:

Even so, my issue continues to be with Apple. I switched from Android to iPhones for this exact reason. They are allowing misbehaving companies like Google (and all the copy cats) To abuse user trust.

So, because you think Google is a misbehaving company, you switched to a phone with an operating system controlled by... Google? On an Android phone, there is never a way to prevent Google from having access to your information. Ever.

May 14, 2019 8:20 AM in response to gaganodi

Any of these apps where you sign in to a service within the App has the ability to track, cache and save your activity with your account with them, even if through their app or a web browser. You need to read terms of use and privacy policies carefully with any and every online service you create an account with.

When Yahoo, became Oath Inc. in a merger with AOL and Verizon, I deleted my Yahoo account rather than accept their completely no-privacy privacy policy. The Oath services privacy policy is an abomination of the very word “privacy”. Google backed away from similar policies several years ago, based on user backlash, but Google remains one of the more intrusive online service providers, IMO. I do have gmail and google voice accounts, but try to use them for little else (I don’t use google drive for anything). I won’t touch Facebook with a 50ft pole.

How to remove invasive app data without erasing the phone or iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.