Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I create a photos library on an exFat format external hard disc?

Hi, I am trying to back up photos from my phone to a hard disc as it is taking up a lot of space on my phone. Just wondering if can I create a photos library on an exFat format external hard disc as I require to read & write file in the hard disc on windows computer as well.

My old iphotos library had crashed and I couldn't retrieve my old photos from my hard disc, not sure if there is something to do with the format of my disc drive as their were working fine previously.

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2019 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 1:30 AM

A Photos Library needs to be on a drive with the file system format MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. It will not work safely on a drive with the exFat format. Has your old Photos Library been on the exFAT drive? Then move it to a correctly formatted drive or portion and try to repair it.

See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You could try to create a separate portion on the drive with the MacOS Extended (Journaled) format and create the new Photos Library there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2019 1:30 AM in response to sumon3uDunno

A Photos Library needs to be on a drive with the file system format MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. It will not work safely on a drive with the exFat format. Has your old Photos Library been on the exFAT drive? Then move it to a correctly formatted drive or portion and try to repair it.

See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You could try to create a separate portion on the drive with the MacOS Extended (Journaled) format and create the new Photos Library there.

Can I create a photos library on an exFat format external hard disc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.