Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help please...! GarageBand Won't Load

Help would be great, please...! Trying to access GarageBand and I get the following message:-

[ GarageBand unexpectedly quit while trying to use the Audio Unit “AUMatrixReverb” by “Apple”. This plug-in may require an update. ]

After this, GarageBand will not load and freezes. I cannot seem to find a "plug-in" for this to receive an update - does anyone else have this problem?

I'm currently running macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 after update today.

Thanks for your help :-)

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 14, 2019 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 11:07 AM

Yeah, updated this morning to 10.13.6 macOS High Sierra. However, it would appear that the problem has resolved itself - although I have no idea how. I re-booted/re-started my Mac numerous times and GB is now opening without issue. Thanks for your help though :-) Much appreciated.

5 replies

May 14, 2019 6:03 AM in response to HelensApples

Can you launch GarageBand on a different project by directly clicking a different project? Without opening the current project?

AUMatrixReverb is installed as part of the system. It appears in the list of standard Apple AudioUnits.

If a different project is also not working, I would Shut Down the Mac and restart it in Safe Mode and test again. Sometimes incompatible software can add incompatible system extensions, that are causing problems. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Help please...! GarageBand Won't Load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.