Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Philips 499P9H Curved SuperWide-LCD-Display on MacBook Pro 15" 2018

Hello!

I've just connected a brand new Philips 499P9H Curved SuperWide-LCD-Display to my MacBook Pro 15" 2018 via USB-C cable. The monitor has a panel with 5120x1440. Unfortunately is seems that the Macbook Pro is not able to switch to that resolution. It works instead with a resolution of 3840x1080 that is not really satisfying for me.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 14, 2019 8:00 AM

4 replies

May 15, 2019 2:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes - I know that USB-C is a connector. Here the requested Information:

1. The monitor has the following input connectors: 2xHDMI 2.0, 1xDP, 1xUSB-C
  2. The MacBook Pro is connected via the included USB-C <-> USB-C Cable
  3. When the MBP is connected, the monitor displays an information that I am using the wrong resolution and that I should use 5120x1440. In order to find out which resolution was provided by the MBP I installed from the AppStore a little utility named EasyRes. EasyRes displays that the resolution of the MBP is set to 3840x1080. This is the maximum resolution that EasyRes allows to set.

In the meantime I have some more information:

• I connected a Lenovo Thinkpad with internal Intel Graphics to the monitor using the included HDMI 2.0 cable. It was possible to select the native resolution of 5120x1440 and everything was really fine.
  • I tried to connect the MBP via the included HDMI cable using a cheap HDMI Adapter. Beside the fact that the image quality was awful (due to the cheap adapter) the maximum resolution still was 3840x1080.

I am sure that the internal graphics of the MBP should be able to provide such a resolution since the machine was previously connected to a LG Ultrafine 5k using the included Thunderbolt-3 cable and the total number of pixels on such a monitor is higher.

May 15, 2019 7:15 AM in response to macpoldo

Signal Input: DisplayPort 1.4* x 1, HDMI 2.0 b x 2, USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 x 1 (upstream, power delivery up to 65 W)

It is not clear to me that the USB-C cable included in the box is suitable for running the display.

You should obtain a DisplayPort adapter, rated for "4K" or "5K" and see if you get the resolution you want.

There is another thread about this monitor here already. Users found that if their Mac featured Dual Graphics, the Discrete Graphics processor (used automatically for external displays) could drive the display at its top resolution.

If their Mac had only Integrated Intel Graphics, they needed to provide TWO connections and treat the display like two displays joined at the hip.

Philips 499P9H Curved SuperWide-LCD-Display on MacBook Pro 15" 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.