Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if the display does not show arrangement how can one connect an external mnitor

I am trying to connect the MacBook Pro to an external monitor for a bigger display. The display does not show arrangement. The monitor is an LG27MDSKL-B . Was shown to to be compatible with a 16 inch MacBook pro

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 10:25 PM

Do you get any video on the external display?

If so connect an external keyboard & mouse and put the laptop into clamshell mode by closing the lid. You will now have System Preferences displayed on the external display. Do you now have the "Arrangement" option on one of the Display System Preference windows? Only one of the Display System Preference windows contain the "Arrangement" tab which may be hidden behind the front most window. I just had this issue with a laptop today.

If you don't get any video on the external display, try using another display cable and adapter. Maybe even try using another type of video connector (HDMI, DVI, mini-DVI). Try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop.

Also try rotating the USB-C connector 180 degrees upside down (try it both ways on each USB-C port as well). I know this sounds silly, but it can sometimes make a difference if there is a problem with the USB-C ports. An issue with a single USB-C port can affect all the other USB-C ports too.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 10:25 PM in response to sumanrani98

Do you get any video on the external display?

If so connect an external keyboard & mouse and put the laptop into clamshell mode by closing the lid. You will now have System Preferences displayed on the external display. Do you now have the "Arrangement" option on one of the Display System Preference windows? Only one of the Display System Preference windows contain the "Arrangement" tab which may be hidden behind the front most window. I just had this issue with a laptop today.

If you don't get any video on the external display, try using another display cable and adapter. Maybe even try using another type of video connector (HDMI, DVI, mini-DVI). Try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop.

Also try rotating the USB-C connector 180 degrees upside down (try it both ways on each USB-C port as well). I know this sounds silly, but it can sometimes make a difference if there is a problem with the USB-C ports. An issue with a single USB-C port can affect all the other USB-C ports too.

if the display does not show arrangement how can one connect an external mnitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.