Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow Mac

My Mac is extremely slow. A program will be working OK then suddenly stops, sometimes up to a minute, before restarting.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 14, 2019 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2019 12:40 PM

Your report indicates your internal Hard Drive may be failing. Looking through your report I do not see any obvious software problems. If the report is correct and your HD is failing and the computer is covered by AppleCare or the original 1 year warranty then this would be fixed at no charge.

However, at this point I would strongly recommend that you make an appointment with your local Apple Store or independent AASP to have the computer professionally diagnosed (free at an Apple Store) and then you can determine if the HD is failing or if it's something else. Then you can decide on repair options.

Good luck.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2019 12:40 PM in response to ryen274

Your report indicates your internal Hard Drive may be failing. Looking through your report I do not see any obvious software problems. If the report is correct and your HD is failing and the computer is covered by AppleCare or the original 1 year warranty then this would be fixed at no charge.

However, at this point I would strongly recommend that you make an appointment with your local Apple Store or independent AASP to have the computer professionally diagnosed (free at an Apple Store) and then you can determine if the HD is failing or if it's something else. Then you can decide on repair options.

Good luck.

May 14, 2019 3:05 PM in response to ryen274

In order for us to help you we need some information about your system.

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem.

May 15, 2019 12:41 PM in response to ryen274

Your hard drive is failing.

"Major Issues:
    Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

Failing hard drive - This machine has an older, mechanical hard disk that appears to be failing."

Backup to an external hard drive with Time Machine, CCC or SuperDuper if you have not already done so. Then make a service appointment at your local Apple Store or AASP to have the hard drive evaluated and/or replaced.

https://locate.apple.com/pr/en/

slow Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.