Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does someone need to be logged into my Apple ID to use Airplay 2 on my Apple TV HD?

I have been using the original AirPlay on my Apple TV HD (nee 4th generation) since I got it, and it seems to work just fine. I though I would experiment with AirPlay 2, but it the device asked for my Apple ID -- which makes me think that it is somehow tied into a particular Apple ID. When my kids, or friends, are visiting, I want them to be able to throw photos, play videos, etc. up on the Apple TV without having to log into my iTunes account.

Apple's documentation on this is sparse, so can someone explain to me (and others) the tie-in with an Apple ID, and how a visitor would be able to "project" on an Apple TV if AirPlay 2 is in use.

Thank you.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on May 15, 2019 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2019 3:11 PM

Airplay involves casting content from a compatible device to the Apple TV over the local network. As long as that device is on the same network as the Apple TV then the user will be able to use it. Airplay 2 works the same as the original, it just adds support for multi-room audio and more caching of media to avoid possible drop outs.

The first time you use airplay from a new device it asks for a pin, and you can also have it setup to request it every time for security. iTunes purchases would be tied to your ID, but not airplay.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2019 3:11 PM in response to Steve Davidson

Airplay involves casting content from a compatible device to the Apple TV over the local network. As long as that device is on the same network as the Apple TV then the user will be able to use it. Airplay 2 works the same as the original, it just adds support for multi-room audio and more caching of media to avoid possible drop outs.

The first time you use airplay from a new device it asks for a pin, and you can also have it setup to request it every time for security. iTunes purchases would be tied to your ID, but not airplay.

Does someone need to be logged into my Apple ID to use Airplay 2 on my Apple TV HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.