Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing/flickering Touch Bar MacBook Pro 2018

Recently, there has been flashing/flickering issues on my New MacBook Pro 2018, it really ****** me off and sad coz it is just 7 months old and I use it carefully in my daily uses. Is this Software or Hardware ? My gut says this must be a hardware issue coz it is still there even after I updated the latest macOS 10.14.5 😬 .. I need your help guys , thanks

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 15, 2019 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2019 11:52 AM

Hey, ruwndar.

I see that you're having an issue with the Touch Bar on your 2018 MacBook Pro. It keeps flickering, and I'm happy to help.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac -- Reset the nonvolatile random-access memory (NVRAM) using the steps in this article. See if the flicker stops.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- If resetting NVRAM didn't resolve the issue, restart your Mac in safe mode and test how it responds. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new administrative user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2019 11:52 AM in response to ruwndar

Hey, ruwndar.

I see that you're having an issue with the Touch Bar on your 2018 MacBook Pro. It keeps flickering, and I'm happy to help.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac -- Reset the nonvolatile random-access memory (NVRAM) using the steps in this article. See if the flicker stops.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- If resetting NVRAM didn't resolve the issue, restart your Mac in safe mode and test how it responds. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new administrative user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

May 17, 2019 5:19 AM in response to ruwndar

Thanks for getting back to use and trying those steps, ruwndar. It's appreciated. I have some more steps for you to use.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Since it didn't happen in safe mode, but it returned when you restarted normally, check for incompatible login items.

"If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode

If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed."

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the Touch Bar still flickers, and if you haven't already, see how the Touch Bar responds in a new administrative user account.

Get back to us when you're able.

Cheers! 

Flashing/flickering Touch Bar MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.