Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to change homepage on safari

Ugarded to Mojave 10.14.5 and now I'm unable to change my homepage. It was always set to google and now its yahoo.

The Box in the preferences is greyed out and won't let me select anything.

Ive searched for a solution and tried what seemed to be the most common solution which was to locate the safari.plist link in the preferences but my system doesn't have that file to even attempt moving it anywhere like people suggest.

Please help?

Thanks

Chris

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2019 11:35 AM

Sounds like there is a browser hijacker installed. Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

5 replies

May 18, 2019 6:54 AM in response to Cwoodford

Try booting into the Safe Mode to see if you can change it.

Safe Mode - About

If Malwarebytes didn't help, try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information    10.10 and later

Unable to change homepage on safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.