Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mackeeper remote access.

Hello,

I made a pretty big mistake earlier on. I downloaded mackeeper, paid for a month of it and allowed them to remotely access my laptop for roughly 30 minutes. I had used it previously and thought it was good, but after feeling super uncomfortable about it during the remote access I searched for reviews and was shocked with what I saw.

Everyone seems to call it malware and that's made me think that they were doing some really bad things with the remote access. I stayed watching the computer the whole time they were there and they went onto my activity monitor plus the terminal/some kind of logs page.

Since then I have done a number of things to try and get rid of any potentially harmful software including: malwarebytes scan, manually deleting any files i can find associated to mackeeper/kromtech, etrescan, passwords all changed, sharing settings changed to block any remote access attempts, blocked the bank card that i used for payment

There isnt anything on the laptop that i am aware of that would be worth stealing like videos/pics/documents/passwords written down.

Is there anything else that you would recommend i do?

Thanks in advance,

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 17, 2019 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2019 2:24 PM

MacKeeper is just shy of being a criminal app. It does nothing useful. Their software flags a brand new Mac out of the box as having hundreds of "serious" issues.

There's no telling what the person at Kromtech did when they had direct access to your system. You've done what you can as far as protecting your bank accounts and such.

Check the System Preferences under Sharing and make sure they didn't enable any of the options.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2019 2:24 PM in response to MadeAMistake10

MacKeeper is just shy of being a criminal app. It does nothing useful. Their software flags a brand new Mac out of the box as having hundreds of "serious" issues.

There's no telling what the person at Kromtech did when they had direct access to your system. You've done what you can as far as protecting your bank accounts and such.

Check the System Preferences under Sharing and make sure they didn't enable any of the options.

May 17, 2019 2:29 PM in response to MadeAMistake10

Use the official uninstaller to remove it form your machine.

Uninstall MacKeeper — Safe, Official Guide!

How to Remove MacKeeper - Lifewire

How to uninstall MacKeeper - Apple Community

After that you can get a good look at your System config. for remanents or issues, you can run this utility hthttp://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the toolbar below.

After that you can try running this trusted utility https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

May 17, 2019 2:46 PM in response to MadeAMistake10

If they still have access, then look for LogMeIn, or TeamViewer.

Per one of leroydouglas' links, download and run EtreCheck. It creates a snapshot of your current system. Mostly, what type of hardware you have, and what software is running. All personal information is automatically redacted.

Post the results of EtreCheck using the Additional Text icon.

Mackeeper remote access.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.