Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically Setting File Permissions

I'm attempting to setup a shared folder on my iMac that everyone else in the house can access.

It needs to be a folder that all the profiles (including non-administrative ones) on this iMac can access. In addition to three Windows 10 Machines.

Ive got the sharing setup so that the default /Users/Shared/ folder is visible to all computers on the network, and all of the Windows 10 machines can Read/Write to this folder and create new folders without any issues. My account (The Only Admin account) on the iMac is also able to read and write files with ease.

Here's where the problem is.

Of course, files and folders created in /Users/Shared/ by the admin account can be accessed by the non-admin accounts on the iMac. But, if one of the Windows machines uploads a file to the Shared folder, BY DEFAULT it only gives Write/Write access to my Admin account only.

This means every single time someone wants to upload files from a Windows Machine and them view them on their account on this iMac, I have to go to /Users/Shared/ and apply the Read/Write access by "Apply to enclosed items"

I need to change it so all files uploaded by Windows machines can be accessed by any profile on the iMac (if possible) otherwise this isnt going to work. I'm attempting to avoid having to buy a NAS bay since this iMac has so much storage on it.

Any thoughts?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 19, 2019 10:33 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Automatically Setting File Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.