Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t set a Live Photo as my lock screen.

I’m kinda upset because I can’t set a Live Photo as my lock screen. Why is that?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on May 19, 2019 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2019 11:16 PM

Live Wallpapers and Dynamic Wallpapers both add movement to your iPhone's home screen and lock screen. And while both of them deliver eye-catching animations, they're not the same thing. Here's what makes them different:

Live Wallpapers: These wallpapers seem like still images until you long-press the screen. When you do this, they come to life and start to move. Live Wallpapers need the 3D Touch screen in order to be activated with a long-press, so they're only available on the iPhone 6S and newer but not SE. Another limitation is that the animation only works on the Lock screen. On the Home screen, Live wallpapers just look like still images.

Dynamic Wallpapers: These are more like short video clips that play continuously in cycle. They work on both the Home and Lock screens. They don't require the 3D Touch screen to work. Instead, they just work on any iPhone running iOS 7 or newer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2019 11:16 PM in response to skylarlea

Live Wallpapers and Dynamic Wallpapers both add movement to your iPhone's home screen and lock screen. And while both of them deliver eye-catching animations, they're not the same thing. Here's what makes them different:

Live Wallpapers: These wallpapers seem like still images until you long-press the screen. When you do this, they come to life and start to move. Live Wallpapers need the 3D Touch screen in order to be activated with a long-press, so they're only available on the iPhone 6S and newer but not SE. Another limitation is that the animation only works on the Lock screen. On the Home screen, Live wallpapers just look like still images.

Dynamic Wallpapers: These are more like short video clips that play continuously in cycle. They work on both the Home and Lock screens. They don't require the 3D Touch screen to work. Instead, they just work on any iPhone running iOS 7 or newer.

I can’t set a Live Photo as my lock screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.