Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view files names under thumbnails in Photos Library?

On my iMac running Mojave, with Photos version 4, I see file names, such as IMG_0134 under every photo or video , unless I've renamed the photo with a title. On my MacBook Pro running High Sierra with Photos version 3, no file names appear unless I've added a title. I haven't found a way to turn this feature on. Is showing file names a Mojave/Photos v4 feature or is there a way to view them in High Sierra?

Posted on May 20, 2019 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 12:17 PM

First go to the View ➙ Metadata menu option and check all of the metadata offered. Next run one for these user provided AppleScripts on those Photos you've selected and want to have the file name show under the thumbnail:

Script: Changing the Title to the Filename without Extension

Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filenames with Extension (Dec 19,2018

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2019 12:17 PM in response to Hersco

First go to the View ➙ Metadata menu option and check all of the metadata offered. Next run one for these user provided AppleScripts on those Photos you've selected and want to have the file name show under the thumbnail:

Script: Changing the Title to the Filename without Extension

Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filenames with Extension (Dec 19,2018

How to view files names under thumbnails in Photos Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.