Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Images from Photos jpg & jpeg

Hello.

Before the latest update (macOS Catalina 10.15.5) images would export from Photos with .jpg extension name. Now they export with .jpeg extension name

I know they are the same but it really messes up my filing system in my folders of thousand of images.

Is there a reason this has changed?

Can it be changed back?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 1:28 PM

What system version are you running?

That action only changes non-jpg files to jpg. Since jpeg and jpg are considered the same it won't work on it.

What do you get when you enter "change extension" in the search window?

Or you can use a file renaming app like Name Mangler to change them when dropped in the window:

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 13, 2020 5:42 AM in response to warrior200

No, there is no way to change this.

Photos is currently even changing the filename extension from ".jpg" to ".jpeg", if we export a photo as the unmodified original. I just tested again and a photo, imported with the filename IMG_0272.jpg has been exported as IMG_0272.jpeg, when I exported with "Export > Export unmodified original".

When Photos imports a photo it is renaming it with a unique name and changing the filename extension of the JPEGS to .jpeg. The test image I just imported is stored in the library as E410C893-BEAA-4358-BB87-B636F15922CA.jpeg . When I export the image original, Photos is recreating the name part of the image as IMG_0272, but it does not bother to recreate the original filename extension.

Exporting Images from Photos jpg & jpeg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.