Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch unlock - Not working the first time

Hello,

I've activated the possibility to unlock my computer (Mojave).

When the computer is locked or is sleeping, then my apple watch is not working to unlock the computer. If I'm waiting and then waking up my computer again, then the apple watch works well.

Any tips to solve this issue?

Thanks for the support.

Best

Jerome

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2019 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 1:12 PM

I’m not expert on the details of the wake up process, but it seems reasonable to suggest if the computer is in sleep mode it is not listening for the watch, and it would be annoying in the extreme if it woke up every time you walked past with your watch. Not to mention a potential security risk because you would be leaving an unattended unlocked computer.

I believe your watch is working correctly to complete the authentication and unlock the computer, once you have prompted it to give attention to the watch.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2019 1:12 PM in response to trebouxjerome

I’m not expert on the details of the wake up process, but it seems reasonable to suggest if the computer is in sleep mode it is not listening for the watch, and it would be annoying in the extreme if it woke up every time you walked past with your watch. Not to mention a potential security risk because you would be leaving an unattended unlocked computer.

I believe your watch is working correctly to complete the authentication and unlock the computer, once you have prompted it to give attention to the watch.

May 20, 2019 1:29 PM in response to trebouxjerome

This support link from the Apple Watch User guide provides information on that subject. I’m not an expert at it, but I just received a MacBook Air today and have set it up. This is all new to me, but it has worked fine the several times that I have tested it so far. When I close the laptop it goes to sleep and when I open it, wearing the watch, it unlocks it as it wakes it up. Explain what you are doing and how you are doing it, and see if the document link provided helps.

Apple Watch unlock - Not working the first time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.