Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unlock with apple watch not working

I've been having a problem with unlocking my macbook pro with my apple watch... Everytime I try to do so I wind up having to sweep my watch over the mac and hope for it to recognize the watch. Once it finally does recognize the watch, the screen sleeps and I wind up having to tap on the trackpad in order to wake it up and be met with the "unlocking with apple watch" screen. This is extremely frustrating given the fact that it's a series 5 apple watch and brand new 2020 MacBook Pro. Anyone have anything I could try?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 7:47 AM

I've had trouble with mine stopping occasionally and have to reset it. See the instructions in this support document, How to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The section at the bottom says if you are having a problem to open System Preferences, Security & Privacy and turn off Open with Apple Watch. Restart your Mac, then turn it back on again. That seems to reset it for me. Never understood why it will quit every so often, but that step has always worked for me.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2020 7:47 AM in response to vinny288

I've had trouble with mine stopping occasionally and have to reset it. See the instructions in this support document, How to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The section at the bottom says if you are having a problem to open System Preferences, Security & Privacy and turn off Open with Apple Watch. Restart your Mac, then turn it back on again. That seems to reset it for me. Never understood why it will quit every so often, but that step has always worked for me.

unlock with apple watch not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.