Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I get a copy of os x 10.11.0

The drive on my friend's late 2008 Aluminium MacBook has failed completely. Where can I obtain a copy of OSX 10.11 to install on a replacement SSD drive? From Apple or third party?

Many thanks for any assistance provided.

Posted on May 20, 2019 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 8:04 PM

Install Snow Leopard from a DVD, update it to 10.6.8, and then send the friend this link. If you install an OS newer than 10.6.8 and use your own Apple ID, it won't be transferable.

(171754)

5 replies

May 20, 2019 9:22 PM in response to gop1947

You may encounter a 90-day waiting period, either when downloading it or later redownloading content from your own Apple ID. If desired, actually install your copy on an external drive instead of creating an installation drive, start up the MacBook from it, and have your friend download their own copy.

(171755)

May 20, 2019 9:42 PM in response to Niel

This potential 90-day waiting period seems harsh on genuine owners of a Mac computer especially in these circumstances.

When you say install your copy, are you talking installing Snow Leopard from a DVD or downloading it onto an external drive? Is that still potentially involving a 90-day waiting period and having started up the MacBook why is there a need for my friend to download their own copy? Sorry but I am confused.

Where can I get a copy of os x 10.11.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.