Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When receiving phone call, youtube video unpauses

Hey everyone, I started having this weird bug that I can't seem to figure out. Basically, whenever I get a phone call on my iPhone, I get the ringing on my Macbook Pro as well. However, whenever this happens one of my paused youtube videos unpauses and starts playing in my chrome window. Does anyone else have this bug or know a fix?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 21, 2019 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 6:31 PM

I solved the problem by disconnecting FaceTime on my Mac from my iPhone. Go to FaceTime on your Mac, select Preferences, and uncheck "Use your iPhone cellular account to make and receive calls when your iPhone is nearby and on Wi-Fi." That stopped it.

30 replies

May 23, 2019 4:10 PM in response to Silentethief

I have this same problem - only started since the last macOS update I believe. I have tried reducing the number of accounts / emails that I can get a phone call on and made sure these reduced settings are consistent on both Mac and iPhone. Will see what happens when I get the next incoming call. Since most of my incoming calls are work related, this behaviour is not at all what I want.

OK just had a call, problem remains. Will disable calling on Mac and suggest we both report this to Apple.

(May be a change in Chrome - have not gone looking for that as yet, but can't see why this function makes sense to anyone).

Andrew

Jul 10, 2019 11:14 AM in response to Silentethief

I have this problem as well. Here's where it becomes very annoying: I tend to have a lot of browser windows open. When a call comes in, some random video begins playing and I have to answer a call while fumbling to figure out which window is playing sound.

In the case of where you might be accepting a call via your Macbook itself, you cannot use the MUTE control (if that's not obvious).

This is extremely disruptive, especially in a professional environment -- and IMHO something that should have been addressed in a proper QA environment.

Jul 15, 2019 9:10 AM in response to Silentethief

Same problem, and it is the most annoying thing. Because of my work I usually have more than 1 browser and many tabs open, and several of them are videos, I spend minutes trying to find which random video was unpaused!

and some times, the call bubble, gets stuck there when I pick on my phone(cause otherwise I can't hear the caller because of the video until I find it)

Jul 16, 2019 3:08 PM in response to robwynn

Robert's workaround is certainly useful to put an end to the super-annoying behavior (thanks Robert), but let's not give Apple / Google the impression that the issue is solved. We're disabling a feature that's not working properly. Stopping a malfunctioning smoke detector by pulling out the battery puts an end to the noise, but probably isn't the best long term solution :-)

When receiving phone call, youtube video unpauses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.