Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Signin is asking for an old device passcode

Purchased new iPhone, When I sign in to iCloud on new device, it's asking to enter the passcode from my old iPhone 6. I have never set a passcode on my iPhone (I know its not good) so how do you get past this if its forcing me to enter a passcode that never existed?

Is there some way to reset this?

The guy at Best Buy had no clue what to do when the old device never had a passcode setup. I cant be the only one who ever did this.

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on May 21, 2019 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 6:01 AM

Possibly sounds like iCloud keychain, it will asks for the passcode of an old device or ask to be approved on one of your other devices. There should be an option to reset or don't have access, it may be on the screen before ti asks for the passcode.

Similar questions

4 replies

May 22, 2019 3:42 AM in response to blynn72

The code should be sent to all of your trusted devices. It can also be sent to your trusted telephone number. That code is not a device passcode. It has nothing to do with any device/hardware you own as it is designed to protect your Apple online services ID (AplleID). It is a 6 digit code sent by notification and which expires after a few minutes. It is a temporary, dynamically generated code sent by the 2FA system every time you login to your AppleID or use your AppleID with a new device.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

You would need a 2 factor authentication code to sign into your AppleID so how did you get that code when you signed into your AppleID account?

If you don’t have any available trusted devices, or never set up a backup trusted telephone number, you will have to call Apple for help.

May 21, 2019 7:13 PM in response to Michael Black

Correct, I enter the iCloud password (Apple ID) and after that, two factor authentication kicks in which prompts me to "Enter the passcode from Barbara's iPhone 6"; which is the old device and never had a device passcode set on it.

When I login to my Apple ID account, it only shows my iPhone 8 and Apple Watch under My Devices.

There has to be a way to change what device it uses for two-factor (not two-step) authentication. After 2 weeks of enabling two-factor on your account, you can no longer turn it off.

How can I change the device passcode that two-factor authentication is using?

iCloud Signin is asking for an old device passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.