Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot activate-"Device unknown"

My iPhone x has been used for about an year. Yesterday I erased all contents and settings, but then could not activate it. It always showed "Device unknown" after ran for a few minutes at the activation stage. I cannot use iTunes to activate it because the lightning port broken for no reason 3 days ago and now it won't respond to any cable coonection. Can anyone share some thoughts? Any would be really appreciated.

iPhone X, 12

Posted on May 22, 2019 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 8:40 AM

See this support document, If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't charge - Apple Support the section about checking for debris in the charging port to see if it is the port itself that is causing the issue if it is not responding to the cable. As far as restoring your device to factory, and not using iTunes, see this, Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support but it is still better to use iTunes. If the device will not respond to the cable and iTunes, then schedule service with Apple Support. This may also help, If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 8:40 AM in response to yi-chun241

See this support document, If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't charge - Apple Support the section about checking for debris in the charging port to see if it is the port itself that is causing the issue if it is not responding to the cable. As far as restoring your device to factory, and not using iTunes, see this, Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support but it is still better to use iTunes. If the device will not respond to the cable and iTunes, then schedule service with Apple Support. This may also help, If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

May 24, 2019 8:31 AM in response to yi-chun241

Thanks everyone. I took my iPhone X to the local repair. The guy showed me that my phone has no IMEI shown on the information page which was entered through the i button on the bottom right corner of the "Hello" page, and said that it was not right. He said the board might be damaged and there was nothing he can do (the lightning port and Face ID both had no function either). Apple said something similar and that I only have one choice which was buying a refurbished since my warranty was expired (10 days). Since it can't be activated my phone is completely no use now. I still had no clue how this was happened. I had really kept my phone in a pretty good condition. All of a sudden everything just shut down in a few days. Hope sharing this could help anyone.

Cannot activate-"Device unknown"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.