Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open an HEIC image directly into Photoshop (from Photos)/

I want to manipulate/edit images in Photoshop. They're in Photos but click/drag to Photoshop 2019 only opens a large 1024 x 768 thumbnail.

What the...?

How can I quickly and expeditiously open shots in Photos directly into Photoshop's latest version (May 22, 2019)?

The shots were made with an iPhone 10S Max in HEIC compression.

Posted on May 22, 2019 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2019 12:29 AM

Which system version do you have installed? Have you also tried to use the menu "Image > Edit with ..." in Photos?

This menu is available in Photos 4.0 in MacOS 10.14 Mojave. Photoshop may not be in the menu, but you can access it from the last item in the list "Other ...".

But do not use drag and drop from Photos, because dragging will pass the current preview and not the original image to an application. You have no control over the quality of the image you are passing to the image.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2019 12:29 AM in response to Peter Inova1

Which system version do you have installed? Have you also tried to use the menu "Image > Edit with ..." in Photos?

This menu is available in Photos 4.0 in MacOS 10.14 Mojave. Photoshop may not be in the menu, but you can access it from the last item in the list "Other ...".

But do not use drag and drop from Photos, because dragging will pass the current preview and not the original image to an application. You have no control over the quality of the image you are passing to the image.

May 22, 2019 3:59 PM in response to Peter Inova1

First does the latest version of Photoshop recognize the HEIC format of the images? If they do then you can edit them from inside the Photos library with this menu:

Arrow #1 is the button that will bring up certain image editors that are in the Applications folder.

I don't know if your version of PS will show up. My 2019 version of Photoshop Elements does not so I had to purchase the 99¢  External Editors For Photos (Arrow #2) from the App store and that lets me use any image editor in the App folder.

As long as you save the edited version in the same format as the file you're editing it will work seamlessly with Photos.

Open an HEIC image directly into Photoshop (from Photos)/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.