Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto jpeg images get saved as jpg by Photoshop

When I upgraded to Photoshop Elements 2019, it would open my jpeg images taken by my iPhone Xr, then when I saved the altered image it would save it as a 2nd image as a jpg. Adobe technicians tell me it's my camera's fault. I really don't care whose fault it is, I just want to know how I can get them to communicate. Can I change the camera in iPhone to save images as jpg? How?

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 8:23 PM

I'm not sure I understand your problem, since .jpg files are JPEG files. By default, the Camera app in new iPhones saves the image as HEIF files. If you want to edit in JPEG, which is a lossy compression format, you can go to your settings and find the Camera app setting and Choose Camera-->Formats-->Most Compatible.

If you have Auto HDR set on your camera, I would also suggest disabling the setting below that, "Keep Normal Photo", as it will produce two separate images for each HDR image you take if you leave it on (green).

This assumes an iPhone running iOS 12. I don't know how Elements 2019 handles HEIF files, but, since they are far from uncommon (e.g. virtually every iPhone and Mac takes them), there should be a setting in Elements to address the higher resolution format.

A somewhat snarky discussion of the issue exists at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/pse-2019-and-heif-hevc-not-supported-in-windows-someday and, probably elsewhere.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2019 8:23 PM in response to janesanha

I'm not sure I understand your problem, since .jpg files are JPEG files. By default, the Camera app in new iPhones saves the image as HEIF files. If you want to edit in JPEG, which is a lossy compression format, you can go to your settings and find the Camera app setting and Choose Camera-->Formats-->Most Compatible.

If you have Auto HDR set on your camera, I would also suggest disabling the setting below that, "Keep Normal Photo", as it will produce two separate images for each HDR image you take if you leave it on (green).

This assumes an iPhone running iOS 12. I don't know how Elements 2019 handles HEIF files, but, since they are far from uncommon (e.g. virtually every iPhone and Mac takes them), there should be a setting in Elements to address the higher resolution format.

A somewhat snarky discussion of the issue exists at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/pse-2019-and-heif-hevc-not-supported-in-windows-someday and, probably elsewhere.

Jul 24, 2019 9:04 PM in response to janesanha

Just to clarify -- where do you see these files? As I said before, JPEG and .jpg are identical. Could you make a screenshot?

Double-check to see that your changes were preserved in your Camera Settings. You might also check the first item, "preserve settings", although I'm not sure how that would interact with the the unchecked "Keep Normal Photo".

Also check Elements. Most photo programs create a proprietary file type from your original image. If you want to share that, you will have to export it to another format (which might be jpg by default for Elements). It does that to preserve the complete original ("non-destructive editing"), and can create a new edited version as a JPEG. If you save that file on top of the original JPEG, you will get a file warning and, if you continue, you will overwrite the original file, but still be left with two files for one photo. Photos for Mac OS and iOS does that behind the scenes, and can revert to the original after editing without having multiple files visible.

Jul 24, 2019 10:14 PM in response to JohnMM

I move the photos out of the iPhoto library on my computer into a folder on my desktop to edit for a website.

I KNOW THAT JPEG AND JPG ARE IDENTICAL. The problem is that Photoshop Elements 2019 opens my jpeg image just fine, then saves it as a jpg image, which means I end up with 2 images, even though I wanted to replace the first one. It used to do this in earlier versions of Photoshop Elements.

Thanks for trying to be helpful. As you might be able to tell, I am getting beyond frustrated.

iPhoto jpeg images get saved as jpg by Photoshop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.