Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pause/Play Key Not behaving in El Capitan

I'm not entirely sure whether this happened as a result of the El Cap update, but the pause/play key on my Macbook Air stopped behaving correctly. It used to only affect either spotify or itunes, so while I was browsing chrome and found a video, I could pause my music with the key, and hit space to play the video. Now, the pause key only affects the video, even if I have my spotify window open. I've seen solutions that say chrome extensions could be hijacking the function, but I don't have any that do so, and I can't figure anything out.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 11", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 22, 2019 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2019 9:30 AM

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2019 9:30 AM in response to decsav456

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Pause/Play Key Not behaving in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.