Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 inch late 2012 slow running after 10.14.5 (18F132) update installed

Since installing the 10.14.5 security update my iMac has been running considerably slower than previously. I use Adobe Lightroom and previously I could work with RAW files without any delay now the system is very laggy and I get the spinning pinwheel continually, any advice?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 23, 2019 3:50 AM

5 replies

May 23, 2019 11:49 AM in response to PeregrineClarke

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

May 23, 2019 6:48 AM in response to PeregrineClarke

What are the hardware specs on your iMac? Processor type and speed; RAM installed; video card. Those are available from "About this Mac..." also how full in your hard drive?

It is not uncommon for third-party software to break when a system update happens. In a perfect world, all software developers would be part of Apple's beta program and will have adjusted their products for an update before it is released. Obviously things are not perfect and we see reports of instability and slowdowns after updates.

Most affected is software that you never needed in the first place: anti-virus and so-called "cleaning/tune-up" apps. The interfere with the protections built into OSX anyway and, when an update occurs, it ca get worse.

Also check for LightRoom updates.

iMac 27 inch late 2012 slow running after 10.14.5 (18F132) update installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.