Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Mojave and hidden wifi network

Hi,

I am using newly installed macOS Mojave on Macbook Pro connected to the hidden wifi network. Ping command from the terminal to any website works well, however Safari cannot open any link. Error:

"Safari can't open the page https://www.apple.com" because Safari can't establish a sercure connection to the server "www.apple.com".

When also trying to look for software updates from System Preferences get error:

"An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made"

On a visible wifi network (NOT HIDDEN) everything works.

Please help.

Posted on May 23, 2019 5:36 AM

4 replies

May 23, 2019 8:20 AM in response to isaidakram

Bottom line? Hidden networks only thwart the lowest-level hacker from accessing your Wi-Fi network and are known to cause more issues than they resolve ... like what you are experiencing with using yours. My suggestion is that you stop using it and make it visible again.

Based on the description of the issue, both the SSL & TLS security protocols are unable to create a secure link to any website that requires them. Whether or not, it is purely due to running macOS Mojave would be a first time I've heard about it. However, anything is possible. Do you run any type of software firewalls on your MacBook Pro?

Mac OS Mojave and hidden wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.