Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Safari 13.1.2 on Mojave 10.14.6 and my iMac keeps losing my WiFi connection.

My iMac is signed into my wireless network, but it drops the connection and reconnects during internet sessions. It also gives me the message "Can't establish a secure connection to the server".

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 12:02 PM

Hi Carlos, it sounds like you have a large number of devices using your WiFi and you answered the question yourself when you mentioned having another iMac wired to the router. I would run ethernet cables to both iMacs instead of using WiFi. The connection will be more stable and much faster than WiFi.

If you are set on using the WiFi then you may need to run Wireless Diagnostics by holding down the option/alt key on your keyboard and clicking the WiFi icon in your system tray, top right of your screen.

It will bring up a wizard to follow to find any potential issues for you.

If you need help fixing any of those just reach out again.

Best of luck

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 12:02 PM in response to Tr1pleDad

Hi Carlos, it sounds like you have a large number of devices using your WiFi and you answered the question yourself when you mentioned having another iMac wired to the router. I would run ethernet cables to both iMacs instead of using WiFi. The connection will be more stable and much faster than WiFi.

If you are set on using the WiFi then you may need to run Wireless Diagnostics by holding down the option/alt key on your keyboard and clicking the WiFi icon in your system tray, top right of your screen.

It will bring up a wizard to follow to find any potential issues for you.

If you need help fixing any of those just reach out again.

Best of luck

Sep 1, 2020 9:41 AM in response to Tr1pleDad

Hi, welcome to the Apple Users Community.

Does not sound like your iMac has a problem, this is more likely to be an issue with your network setup. Check your WiFi for the number of devices using it, have you reset your router and modem lately?

If none of the above helps, please reach out again and we can point out some more in depth suggestions to help you.

Best of luck

Sep 1, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Pete-Progressive-Graphics

Hey Pete, thanks for responding. This is actually a new router and modem setup. I never had a problem before, my other iMac is wired to the router and modem and works fine. The WiFi works great for all other devices, TV's my family's iPhones, laptops, etc. This iMac is in the same room with the router and it drops the connection while I'm trying to work, so that's why I thought it may be the iMac and not the WiFi. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much, Carlos.

Sep 2, 2020 10:34 AM in response to Pete-Progressive-Graphics

Thanks Pete, I will check out the setup Wizard. But I have reset the modem and router (both brand new installs from Comcast) and the same number of devices as we have always had are on this wireless network and like I mentioned it's just my iMac that's using the WiFi keeps dropping the connection. I routinely get, "not connected to the internet", "can't establish a secure connection to website", "can't connect to the server" messages. All other devices seem to be fine and this iMac is in the same room with the router, not even 12 feet away! Thanks for your help, very much appreciated, Carlos.

Running Safari 13.1.2 on Mojave 10.14.6 and my iMac keeps losing my WiFi connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.