Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo's on mac stopped importing my pictures from my Iphone

Please help me out! I'm importing my pictures from my Iphone to Photo's in Mac but after 450 photo's the application stops importing my pictures and it doesn't react anymore (see picture). How can I fix this? When I disconnect my Iphone the application says it can't import some pictures because of the file. Then I tried it once and the same happens: it stops importing at 200 pictures.

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 24, 2019 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2019 9:42 AM

What is the file format of the photos on your iPhone?

is your iPhone taking the photos and videos in the space saving HEIC format? The newer iPhone models could be using an image format that your Mac cannot read, if it still running macOS 10.12. In that case you should change the settings on your iPhone, so the images are converted to JPEGS, when you download them.

See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device to Photos, Image Capture, or a PC, the media might be converted to JPEG or H.264.
You can change this import behavior in iOS 11 or later. Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted to JPEG or H.264 when importing. 

You can also change the settings the iPhone, that the photos and videos will be taken in a more compatible format. or upgrade the system on your Mac to macOS 10.13 or macOS 10.14, if your Mac can be upgraded to this system.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2019 9:42 AM in response to Anna-Lotte

What is the file format of the photos on your iPhone?

is your iPhone taking the photos and videos in the space saving HEIC format? The newer iPhone models could be using an image format that your Mac cannot read, if it still running macOS 10.12. In that case you should change the settings on your iPhone, so the images are converted to JPEGS, when you download them.

See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device to Photos, Image Capture, or a PC, the media might be converted to JPEG or H.264.
You can change this import behavior in iOS 11 or later. Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted to JPEG or H.264 when importing. 

You can also change the settings the iPhone, that the photos and videos will be taken in a more compatible format. or upgrade the system on your Mac to macOS 10.13 or macOS 10.14, if your Mac can be upgraded to this system.

Photo's on mac stopped importing my pictures from my Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.