Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete iCloud backup cache

I deleted my iCloud backup because it was using too much memory. After selecting less applications and no photos to create smaller backup the iOS showed the next backup size was going to be very small. However when running a new backup it is reusing the iCloud backup that was deleted and incrementing it to make it even larger. Called 3 times Apple support of no help. Logged out of iCloud and back, tried multiple back up delete from iPhone and from MacBook. Every time I turn backup ON again it creates a multiple GB backup. Cannot find a way to delete FOR GOOD this multiple GB backup from the iCloud. Should I create a new Apple account to get my 5Gb iCloud memory back? Please help.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on May 24, 2019 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 6:03 PM

The section in this article that explains how to delete old backups is not helpful. I decided to back up an iPad which was never backed up in an effort to force iCloud to overwrite cache for iPhone cache incremental backup in filling up most of the 5Gb allocation on iCloud. The next day I tried again to back up the iPhone and this time it was a breeze, only took a couple of minutes and a few Mb. So much for all the guesses from Apple tech support such as in addition to the selected applications backup on iCloud also stores ring tones, voicemails, safari passwords blablabla, like these are going to account as Gb. I found really unfortunate that Apple support has not a better knowledge about how/when a backup cache clears... or tools to empty iCloud "trash can".

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2019 6:03 PM in response to Jeanm12345

The section in this article that explains how to delete old backups is not helpful. I decided to back up an iPad which was never backed up in an effort to force iCloud to overwrite cache for iPhone cache incremental backup in filling up most of the 5Gb allocation on iCloud. The next day I tried again to back up the iPhone and this time it was a breeze, only took a couple of minutes and a few Mb. So much for all the guesses from Apple tech support such as in addition to the selected applications backup on iCloud also stores ring tones, voicemails, safari passwords blablabla, like these are going to account as Gb. I found really unfortunate that Apple support has not a better knowledge about how/when a backup cache clears... or tools to empty iCloud "trash can".

how to delete iCloud backup cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.