Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgraded to iphone 6s, some contacts haven't transferred

Hi,

I followed the instructions on apple support.com: backed up my iphone se with icloud and itunes, and not all of my saved contacts have transferred onto my new phone. In my messages, for some people it just says their phone numbers....why? This happened before actually too. I've already gone to import sim contacts on my new phone and it's made no difference.

Help please,

Thanks,

Lucy

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on May 25, 2019 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 2:57 AM

Contacts are not part of iCloud Backup.

Contacts in iPhone are part of an email account. Google, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook, iCloud, Exchange etc... Add the account under Settings > Password and Accounts > Add Account...

All your Contacts will be back.

It could be that you had contacts on one of the email accounts which have removed from Password and & Accounts:- See the Pic below

If Not. You can restore from iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Restore contacts, calendars, and more in iCloud Settings

You can restore your contacts, calendars and reminders, or Safari bookmarks and reading list from an earlier version that was automatically archived in iCloud. For example, you might want to restore an earlier version of your contacts to recover some that were accidentally deleted.

When you restore an earlier version, your current version is first archived in iCloud so you can change your mind and go back to it.

Restore your contacts

You can restore your contacts and contact groups from an earlier version that was automatically archived in iCloud.

1. Go to Settings on iCloud.com, then click Restore Contacts (in the Advanced section).
  2. Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
  3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
  4. There may be more versions than can be shown at once. Scroll to see more.
  5. Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. While it’s restoring them, any changes you make aren’t saved.

The restored contacts and contact groups appear on all your devices set up for iCloud Contacts.

If you change your mind, you can restore the contacts you were using. Just follow the steps above to restore the most recent version available.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph22730?locale=en_US

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2019 2:57 AM in response to Lucy Goose

Contacts are not part of iCloud Backup.

Contacts in iPhone are part of an email account. Google, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook, iCloud, Exchange etc... Add the account under Settings > Password and Accounts > Add Account...

All your Contacts will be back.

It could be that you had contacts on one of the email accounts which have removed from Password and & Accounts:- See the Pic below

If Not. You can restore from iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Restore contacts, calendars, and more in iCloud Settings

You can restore your contacts, calendars and reminders, or Safari bookmarks and reading list from an earlier version that was automatically archived in iCloud. For example, you might want to restore an earlier version of your contacts to recover some that were accidentally deleted.

When you restore an earlier version, your current version is first archived in iCloud so you can change your mind and go back to it.

Restore your contacts

You can restore your contacts and contact groups from an earlier version that was automatically archived in iCloud.

1. Go to Settings on iCloud.com, then click Restore Contacts (in the Advanced section).
  2. Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
  3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
  4. There may be more versions than can be shown at once. Scroll to see more.
  5. Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. While it’s restoring them, any changes you make aren’t saved.

The restored contacts and contact groups appear on all your devices set up for iCloud Contacts.

If you change your mind, you can restore the contacts you were using. Just follow the steps above to restore the most recent version available.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph22730?locale=en_US

upgraded to iphone 6s, some contacts haven't transferred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.