Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement of keyboard versus single key

Greetings,

I need your help to assess options.

My "T"-key responds to hard clicks right on the top, unlike all other keys that responds rapidly and from all edges on my old Macbook from 2013.

A good rated Mac repair in Bucharest will replace the keyboard for $96, but not individual keys. Price seems high, but solution seems doable. What should single key and keyboard replacements costs?

What is a wise approach to this situation? Keyboard replacement versus single key replacement?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 25, 2019 4:30 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 25, 2019 11:34 PM in response to Soren Madsen

According to certain sources of some replacement original keys for portable Apple computers

you may be able to replace single key caps and the parts beneath them, & to restore functions.

Since there wasn't an exact description of your MacBook, you may find correct match on this site

and then maybe determine if a local source can be found. The older macbooks can be DIY repaired.

..This source shows replacement key kits w/ instructions, take-apart of single keys; & different models..

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/macbook/

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/macbook-pro/

These can be helpful examples and perhaps provide an angle to attempt to cure the problem.

May 25, 2019 7:42 PM in response to Soren Madsen

Most likely something is stuck beneath the key cap and interfering with the scissor mechanism. Try blowing compressed air under the key cap.

You could try removing the key cap yourself, but be warned that if you pry up the wrong side you will likely damage the scissor mechanism as they contain very small plastic studs to hold the key cap. Also, Apple uses keyboards from multiple vendors, so the procedure to remove the key cap varies with each one. The majority of the ones I dealt with unsnap from the top, but a fair number unsnap from the left side while a small number may unsnap from the bottom. Be very gentle if you try it and see if iFixIt has a guide to help you.

If you remove the key cap, then while the key cap is off test the micro switch to make sure it is functional. If the micro switch isn't reliable, then you know you need a new keyboard, otherwise you have something binding. Check for dirt, liquid residue and make sure the scissor mechanism is fully attached to the keyboard frame.

Edit: You may want to check with an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they will help you with the single key issue. They may have spare key caps and scissor mechanisms or they may be able to acquire one if necessary. The Apple Store is all or nothing.

Replacement of keyboard versus single key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.