Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to hit the power button in the middle of an update to a 2016 macbook pro???

For at least the last three macOS updates of my 2016, 15 inch MacBook Pro with TouchBar, I have come to a place where the screen goes black and stays black (off???) for a long enough period of time that I begin to believe it is not going to restart, move forward, or whatever term you might choose to describe a less than obvious “is it going to restart or not”???  

I find it frustrating that these newer Macs no longer have a startup tone and no longer have a lit apple logo on the top of the computer so “off” becomes a somewhat difficult thing to describe.  

Anyway, on all three (at least) of the recent updates, after a couple minutes of nothing happening, each time I have clicked the power button one time and each time, THE APPLE LOGO COMES UP on the screen and the update continues!!!!!!

I also always update first an older 2013 MacBook Pro I also own and even though the apple logo and (ridiculously worthless) progress bar presents itself (starts over) at least 4 if not 5 times, still the restart occurs fairly quickly each time so you are convinced the update is continuing and needs no intervention from you.  From start to finish, the 2013 does the update with only me having to click an obviously labeled “restart” button to start the entire process.  And after 4 or 5 appearances of the apple logo and some sort of a progress bar, that eventually puts up a time remaining message, the update completes on its own (with no intervention from me) up to the login screen.

But not so with my 2016 TouchBar MacBook Pro.  

Could it possibly be that Apple intends for the owner to have to push the power button (one time of the 4 or 5 logo reappears) in order for the update to continue and eventually complete???  

It just stayed black and apparently off for multiple minutes.  Just too long.  And within a few seconds of hitting the power button, the update would continue…. Or did I just not wait long enough???

And this has now happened at least three times in a row on the last three updates.  But it never happens on my 2013 MacBook Pro.  

Can anyone enlighten me???  Amazing to think that Apple would not tell me I need to hit the power button in the middle of an update???  

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 25, 2019 2:02 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 25, 2019 8:02 PM in response to sberman

1. I can't imagine Apple expecting us to somehow know we are supposed to sit and do nothing for up to 15 minutes. I'd be surprised if many who were watching the update progress (as I always do) would wait anywhere close to 15 minutes to attempt some form of intervention.
  2. It only does this on my 2016 MacBook Pro TouchBar and NOT on my 2013 version (before Touch). Why on a 2016 but not on a 2013 model??
  3. It's done this now 3 times in a row, if not more. I'd almost like to talk with Apple Support to inquire if this was intended. The screen goes completely black and where one would expect it to come back on with the apple logo pretty quickly, it just sits there, UNTIL I hit the power switch one time. And then, within seconds, it starts and goes. That's pretty amazing.
  4. Apple has really done a poor job, in my opinion, of abandoning the purpose of a progress bar. What they present starts over multiple times so you don't really have a clue of where you are. It would be ok if they had one top level progress bar and that keeps, well, progressing, while this second one can start over a zillion times if need be. But a progress bar that is essentially meaningless is certainly no help in allowing one to know where you are.
  5. After many progress bar restarts, it finally puts up a number, 44 minutes was what I recall seeing, until the update would be done. And then 10 minutes later, it's done. So they didn't mean the 44 either...
  6. I hate to see it but I fear Apple is moving away from common sense solutions.

My opinion...

Do I have to hit the power button in the middle of an update to a 2016 macbook pro???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.