Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outdoor Bike Activity Exercise

Why does a 45 minute outdoor bike ride--activity is on-- only register 3 minutes of exercise on the watch?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on May 25, 2019 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2019 11:34 AM

I ride my bike every day. And can spend up to 2 1/2 hours on it, but only get credited 88 minutes. The Watch uses your heart rate age sex height and weight to calculate exercise minutes. The more you ride the harder it gets to earn the minutes. I would suggest you recalibrate your Watch. Then go for a walk or run for at least 20 minutes plus check your personal data is correct

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2019 11:34 AM in response to batsage

I ride my bike every day. And can spend up to 2 1/2 hours on it, but only get credited 88 minutes. The Watch uses your heart rate age sex height and weight to calculate exercise minutes. The more you ride the harder it gets to earn the minutes. I would suggest you recalibrate your Watch. Then go for a walk or run for at least 20 minutes plus check your personal data is correct

May 29, 2019 9:10 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

Because you're not moving your arms.

I am getting the same result with the outdoor bike exercise. When I am keeping both hands on the handle bar, nearly no exercise is registered, but when I am ignoring the traffic rules and take the arm with the watch off the handle bar and let it swing freely, the watch counts the exercise nearly for the full time of the bike ride.

Outdoor Bike Activity Exercise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.