Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add custom ringtones to iPhone 7. Help?

Hi

I know there have been other posts with the same issue, but....those don't seem to solve my problem.

I've added custom ringtones to my iPhones in the past, it can be a bit fussy but it eventually works.

I know there are Apple postings that say to drag and drop (or copy and paste) the ringtones into the sidebar on the iPhone's Tones folder (in iTunes). But that simply doesn't work. Won't copy. Nothing happens

If I try to copy or paste into the main Tones window, I get the error message "XXX was not copied to the iPhone because it cannot be played on this iPhone".

How can I copy the ringtones into the Tones folder for the iPhone when the normal way just doesn't work? Or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on May 25, 2019 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 4:05 PM

Thank you!! It all worked. I was trying to copy the ringtones from a folder under music/iTunes that I had called ringtones. Copying from there didn't work. But from your instructions I found the correct folder under music/iTunes/iTunes Media/tones and yes, that was what I didn't do correctly. Copying the ringtones from that folder worked perfectly.

(I had the same .m4r files in both folders.)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2019 4:05 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you!! It all worked. I was trying to copy the ringtones from a folder under music/iTunes that I had called ringtones. Copying from there didn't work. But from your instructions I found the correct folder under music/iTunes/iTunes Media/tones and yes, that was what I didn't do correctly. Copying the ringtones from that folder worked perfectly.

(I had the same .m4r files in both folders.)

Can't add custom ringtones to iPhone 7. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.