Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add custom ringtones to iPhone 8 using iTunes?

I am trying to add a custom ringtone that I made to my iPhone 8. I have already made an M4R version of the file by using iTunes to convert to AAC, then renaming to M4R. I can add the MP3 version to my library but not the M4R version. I have tried the steps shown on Apple Support but they do not work (copying and pasting the M4R to my phone in the left sidebar). Moreover, when I look at the "tones" section under my device it says "No tones", but on the device itself the tones show up (except the new tone I am trying to add). I'm about ready to put this phone through a wall. It seems like Apple is making it harder and harder to perform what should be a simple task. I did not have to jump through these hoops to put the other custom ringtones on this phone a long time ago.

Any suggestions?

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 3:29 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 15, 2019 5:14 PM in response to Just4Kixx

See the sections in the link above about removing hidden tones. When adding content to the device ring the changes of drag & drop and copy/paste. One or other method ought to work. Try with the device selected from the device icon first which will look slightly different from your screenshot as there should be a Device > Summary listing in the sidebar.

tt2

Oct 18, 2019 4:25 PM in response to ashfaque275

I gave up on iTunes and on trying to get any help from Apple, and decided to "side load" the ring tones into the phone using iFunbox. Rather than simply using iFunbox to delete the tones as Apple recommends, I used it to "import" the tones into the phone and it worked. Still don't show up in iTunes, but I don't care - they're on the phone and that's what counts.

I'm quite disappointed that in order to perform what should be a simple and intuitive task has been made into a hair-pulling exercise in futility by Apple and that I was forced to use third-party software because Apple's own software doesn't seem to be capable of doing this simple thing.

How to add custom ringtones to iPhone 8 using iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.