Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making Custom Ringtones from Music

I used to be able to create a custom ringtone for my iPhone by creating a 30-second clip of any song, converting it to an .m4r file, and loading it onto the phone. I have gotten as far as making the .m4r and it is sitting on my desktop, but I cannot figure out how or even if I can put it on my phone. I just tried syncing the library and it wiped out all my old custom ringtones from music. Is this no longer possible, has Apple made it mandatory to purchase ringtones? Any help is appreciated.

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 11:58 AM

One possibility is this note to step 7 in my Create a ringtone steps.

* If you omit this step on a Mac iTunes/Music will remain connected to the renamed file as if it was a regular music track, and it may then ignore any attempt to manually add it to your device.

Otherwise it is probably the universe being spiteful.

tt2

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 11:58 AM in response to Ed Colman

One possibility is this note to step 7 in my Create a ringtone steps.

* If you omit this step on a Mac iTunes/Music will remain connected to the renamed file as if it was a regular music track, and it may then ignore any attempt to manually add it to your device.

Otherwise it is probably the universe being spiteful.

tt2

Mar 31, 2022 12:45 PM in response to Ed Colman

Make sure the new cut has a different filename/path, otherwise it won't necessarily be considered to be a new object to transfer.

If I recall correctly alert (formerly text) tones are allowed to be longer than ringtones, but you should be able to use either. When I click the options under Sounds & Haptics sometime Ringtones are shown first, sometimes Alert Tones, but the content looks to be the same in either case.

Oops, that wasn't what you asked. I guess you need to copy the voice memo to somewhere where you can save it as an AAC file, trim if needed, and change the file extension. You can probably share to Files, e.g. iCloud Drive, and work forwards from there.

tt2

Making Custom Ringtones from Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.