Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create and add custom ringtones to iPhone 6s

I would like to create a ringtone out of a regular mp3 file that I have regardless of whether it's in my iTunes library, or, for example, stored on my Windows laptop. My only Apple device is my iPhone. I have messed with this a few times by following directions online. I can get the mp3 file, figure start and stop times and clip out that part (I know it has to be <30s). I convert to AAC and rename to m4a to m4r extension I can see it and play it in my iTunes library. But no matter how I try, I can't get it moved into or copied over to the Tones folder on my iPhone (connected to my laptop with USB cable and visible in iTunes.. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 6s

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 12:19 PM

Ok, I started pretty much from scratch. I changed from using my Windows 10 laptop to my Windows 7 desktop (everything is easier in Windows 7). I figured out last night that the version of iTunes was installed from the Microsoft store. If you click on the Help menu and you see "Check for updates", you have the Apple version of iTunes. If it doesn't have "Check for updates" it's the version from the Microsoft Store. This Windows 7 desktop didn't have iTunes installed at all, so I went directly to Apple, downloaded the version for Windows from there, and installed. Now I could see "Check for updates". Problem 1 solved.

Because I had wrestled with the mp3 to mpr filename change last night, I was able to follow the directions for Create a ringtone on the page linked above at https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12051.

The last step was to copy the mpr file from Windows Explorer to the Tones file on my iPhone. Drag & Drop didn't work, but Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v worked.

Then I had to figure out how to assign that new ringtone to a contact. That took me a bit because I didn't realize the Contacts app was not the same thing as the phone part. So it installed the Contacts app and I was able to assign a ringtone there, but using the "Edit" button...which doesn't make much sense to me because you can't see what ringtone is selected for that contact until you press the "Edit" button.

Anyway, several hours later (I'm not kidding, if I count last night) I finished and it worked. I think the webpage on the link could be tweaked a bit to make it more understanding for non-Mac users (maybe make it a completely different webpage?? It ain't like space on the 'net is expensive. LOL).

Thanks so much for your help. I haven't been able to figure this out for a while and I had given up. But now it works. :)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 12:19 PM in response to v015eyjd

Ok, I started pretty much from scratch. I changed from using my Windows 10 laptop to my Windows 7 desktop (everything is easier in Windows 7). I figured out last night that the version of iTunes was installed from the Microsoft store. If you click on the Help menu and you see "Check for updates", you have the Apple version of iTunes. If it doesn't have "Check for updates" it's the version from the Microsoft Store. This Windows 7 desktop didn't have iTunes installed at all, so I went directly to Apple, downloaded the version for Windows from there, and installed. Now I could see "Check for updates". Problem 1 solved.

Because I had wrestled with the mp3 to mpr filename change last night, I was able to follow the directions for Create a ringtone on the page linked above at https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12051.

The last step was to copy the mpr file from Windows Explorer to the Tones file on my iPhone. Drag & Drop didn't work, but Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v worked.

Then I had to figure out how to assign that new ringtone to a contact. That took me a bit because I didn't realize the Contacts app was not the same thing as the phone part. So it installed the Contacts app and I was able to assign a ringtone there, but using the "Edit" button...which doesn't make much sense to me because you can't see what ringtone is selected for that contact until you press the "Edit" button.

Anyway, several hours later (I'm not kidding, if I count last night) I finished and it worked. I think the webpage on the link could be tweaked a bit to make it more understanding for non-Mac users (maybe make it a completely different webpage?? It ain't like space on the 'net is expensive. LOL).

Thanks so much for your help. I haven't been able to figure this out for a while and I had given up. But now it works. :)

Apr 9, 2020 7:19 PM in response to javaliga

My iTunes version is the most recent one offered by Windows. I checked the version number in the Microsoft Store with the version on my laptop. I read down the list of steps in that response and it looks identical to what I did. I did notice the note on the problem saying users trying to do it when in Admin mode sometimes had problems. That's the only thing I wasn't aware of. I will try that. Thanks!

Create and add custom ringtones to iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.