Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Self assigned IP-problem

I have recently moved and has gone from a router with an apple time capsule to just the Apple Time Capsule connected to the internet wall plug

My network name is the same and my ipad and iphone X will easily connect to the WiFi, but my MacBook Air says "WiFi has the self-assigned IP address and cannot connect to internet"

I've literally everything: changing location, restarted time capsule, removed wifi, deleted plist files in the Library and one million other tricks but with no luck...

Could anyone please help?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 25, 2019 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2019 12:25 AM

Yes, this is your problem.. it won't work without being set to DHCP and NAT.

You will then get a double NAT error but in your case there is nothing you can do about it.

Another problem that can crop up is if the building network is based on 10.x.x.x which is fairly common.. since apple routers also use 10.0.1.x it is important you move the DHCP to 192.168.1.x

On the computer version of the airport utility you do it in network options.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2019 12:25 AM in response to themabee

Yes, this is your problem.. it won't work without being set to DHCP and NAT.

You will then get a double NAT error but in your case there is nothing you can do about it.

Another problem that can crop up is if the building network is based on 10.x.x.x which is fairly common.. since apple routers also use 10.0.1.x it is important you move the DHCP to 192.168.1.x

On the computer version of the airport utility you do it in network options.

May 26, 2019 12:54 AM in response to themabee

Yes..

Last question first.

How do I check whether " the building network is based on 10.x.x.x"?

The airport utility will show you what IP you get on the Time Capsule.

This will be easier (IMHO) to do on your laptop version airport utility.

Click the icon of the TC. I am running both a gen4 and gen5 but I can easily mess up the Gen4.

It is currently in bridge mode so it shows the same IP on both IP address and LAN IP address. If that happens to be 10.x.x.x where x is any number between 0 and 255 you will need to move the IP of the TC. If it is anything else you don't need to worry.

To change to DHCP and NAT.

Go to the network tab.. select choice of router mode..

Click on update.

You should then get an error.

This is double NAT.

And the fix is to ignore it.

You suggest I should change to DHCP and NAT - but then I'll get another error, that I can't do anything about?

Well it is not really a fix.. but that is required because your building is not passing you a proper public IP. This is fairly standard in hotels and apartment buildings which supply internet.

It will make very little difference to your network usage.. and will block other people in the building accessing your clients. Otherwise they can easily access whatever you connect.

Now is it all happy again.. but it is using double NAT.. which is Apple's solution as well btw.

May 25, 2019 3:07 PM in response to themabee

We'll need to check some settings on the Time Capsule to make sure that it is set up correctly to work with your new wall port Ethernet connection. As it stands, your current connection from the provider likely will not allow all of your devices to connect, because of system limitations.

Do you have AirPort Utility installed on the iPad or iPhone? If not, you can download AirPort Utility from the App Store on either the iPad or the iPhone. It's free.

Post back when you have AirPort Utility installed on your iOS device, and we'll have you check the Internet connection settings.

May 25, 2019 4:57 PM in response to themabee

It needs an update - should I do that?

Yes, go ahead and update the AirPort Time Capsule firmware and let the Time Capsule restart.

It says wireless clients: 2 - is that a maximum?

This all depends on whether the Time Capsule is set up as a router.......in which case it will allow up to 50 wireless clients......or whether the Time Capsule is set up in Bridge Mode.......Apple calls this "Off (Bridge Mode).......in which case the number of devices that can connect to the Time Capsule is being controlled by another router that you cannot see.

So, using AirPort Utility on the iOS device, please check the setting for the Router Mode of the Time Capsule as follows:

Open AirPort Utility

Tap on the picture of the Time Capsule

Tap Edit in the upper right corner of the screen

Tap Advanced

Tap DHCP and NAT

Is the Router Mode set to "Off (Bridge Mode)"......in which case the Time Capsule cannot control the number of devices that will be allowed to connect?.......or.......is the current setting for Router Mode set to DHCP and NAT?

May 26, 2019 3:13 AM in response to themabee

LaPastenague is assuming that your MacBook Air is connecting to your network.

I suggested using AirPort Utility on an iPhone or iPad because I was not sure whether your MacBook Air would be able to connect to the wireless network correctly, since you reported problems with that device.

If you are able to connect using your MacBook Air, then LaPastenague has everything laid out for you.

If you are not able to connect using the MacBook Air, then post back to let me know and I will walk you through the setup using the iOS version AirPort Utility on your iPhone or iPad.

Double NAT is a necessary evil for the type of setup that you have at your facility. It does not usually cause any issues on a simple home network, but results will vary. If it works OK on your network, then you leave well enough alone. If the Double NAT setup creates more issues for you, there is another method that we can try that is somewhat more complicated.

May 27, 2019 3:43 PM in response to themabee

I cannot get the MBA on the network, so Ipad/Iphone will be the tool.

OK, thanks for the information.I assume that you have already updated the firmware on the Time Capsule and things are still working OK with the iPhone and iPad.

On the iPad, locate AirPort Utility on the Home screen and tap on it to open the app.

Tap on the picture of the Time Capsule, like you have done before

Tap Edit in the upper right corner of the screen

Tap Advanced

Tap DHCP and NAT

Change the setting from "Off (Bridge Mode)" to DHCP and NAT

Tap Back, Tap Done, Tap Done, etc

The Time Capsule will take a minute to restart. The amber light will be blinking, but do not worry about that for now.

Power off Time Capsule

Wait a minute

Power up the Time Capsule again

Check to make sure that the iPad can connect, then check with other devices to make sure that they can connect

Report on your progress

Self assigned IP-problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.