Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get to my files on the desktop?

I had a 2012 Macbook Pro with the original hard drive in it. Two days it stopped worked. Some keys stopped working then the comptuer would shut off then restasrt and shut off until it stopoed working completely. And the power button isn't even working. Took it to an apple store and they said its too old to fix, that parts will be crazy hard to find. SO ANYWAYS I bought a new one. But now i need to get into my old macbook pro hard drive cause i need some files in a folder on the desktop. Was wondering is it possible to get those files onto my new macbook? How would i do that? any videos or detail steps would be great!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 25, 2019 6:08 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 25, 2019 6:38 PM in response to Shawn_954

The Retina 2012 and the 15" (mid-2012) non-Retina models are the only ones considered Vintage at the moment, but they may be still serviced by Apple if Apple still has the part in their warehouse (this may differ by region of course and is something very new). The 13" (mid-2012) non-Retina is still a fully serviceable model. Now whether it would be worth the money to repair one of these units is another matter entirely.

If it is the non-Retina model, then you can easily remove the hard drive and use either a USB to SATA Adapter, a USB drive dock, or an USB external drive enclosure to connect the drive to your new laptop. I personally like products from Plugable, Startech, and the OWC Mercury enclosures.

If it is a Retina laptop, then you will need to purchase an OWC Envoy enclosure from OWC because the SSD uses a unique proprietary design. You will also need to get a Pentalobe screwdriver to remove the screws on the Bottom Case (I forget the size used). OWC and iFixIt should have guides available.

How can I get to my files on the desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.