Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Lock

I have been given my mums old ipad mini to use at the gym (I don't want to risk my new ipad!!).

The story is this.........

My Mum was using it on her old apple id, she didn't realise you could change the email address so she set up a new one when she replaced the ipad mini with a newer model. The email used with the old apple id is now defunct as her internet provider discontinued the account when they changed internet providers (we cant sign in to that at all, it no longer exists). She doesn't remember the password on the apple id.

I want to rid the ipad of all the data and use it with my apple id.

Things I have attempted....

tried getting a verification code sent to her iphone (which matches the number she was using for the old apple id) but nothing comes through (the iphone is now set up with her new apple id).

Restoring ipad through itunes by pressing 'restore ipad' this doesn't work as find my iphone is switched on and I cant turn it off without the apple id password.

Connecting ipad to itunes and doing a hard reset, then restoring- tried this 3 times and each time it gets to near the end and then says "ipad couldn't be restored as cant be found". despite the fact it is plugged in and charging and acknowledged in itunes. Tried all 3 usb ports on windows laptop.

I should add that i know the passcode and that's fine, I can access all the functions apart from anything that requires the apple id password.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on May 26, 2019 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2019 2:33 PM

If she has a receipt or other proof she's the owner of the device, she can request Apple release it from the old ID. They may be able to help her log in to the account, too.

There is nothing you are able to do to release it, though.

~Lyssa

Similar questions

2 replies

May 26, 2019 2:45 PM in response to sheep1003

Activation Lock Problem

If you purchased the device second-hand, then it is useless without the Apple ID and password to which it is locked. If you don't have it, can't remember it or cannot get it, then the device is useless to you. Try to get your money refunded, if you can, or take it to an Apple store for an exchange provided they will help you. If you are the original owner then take the device, a copy of your purchase receipt and identity proof to an Apple retailer where they may be able to assist you. For a decease owner you will need a certified copy of the Death Certificate, the device, proof of inheritance and proof of your identity. Take all to your local Apple Store for help. Note: there is no guarantee that anyone can gain access to the device.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

Activation Lock - Turn off Find My iPhone

If you have an Apple Watch please see: About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

iCloud Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.