Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unblock an old iPad? (ID blocked and no access to email)

Hello

I am helping my mum to recover access to her old iPad (8 years old) which she uses only to send me Emails (I live abroad) using the mail app (not the browser). She is 75 and she learned just to send emails with the iPad. I did configure it for her long ago (many years ago), creating myself her Gmail account and Apple-ID.

A few days ago, suddenly the iPad asks for the APPLE ID and password .... panic as we both didn't remember the password. I tried to access her apple account on a browser, we know her Apple ID but we could not remember the password. I then tried the recovery procedure but: 1) we don't recall her Gmail password (as she was using it with the iPad app which stored the pwd) 2) we don't recall the proper answers to the security questions (I did long ago and I don't recall which language I used for the answers and if I used the capital initials. Long story short, the account is blocked and cannot be restored/unblocked. We cannot even access the Gmail account (no phone associated nor any secondary email).

I could create a new Gmail and new Apple ID but the iPad doesn't allow me to use another ID. What to do? Is an Apple store able to help? Can we simply do a factory reset and use a new Apple ID? Would it work?

Thank you for the help.

Stefano

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 8:58 AM

A factory reset and using a new Apple ID probably won't work because you will get an. Activation Lock.

If you or your mother are/is the original owner, contact Apple. Apple can remove the ID  if provided the required paperwork to include the original purchase receipt with the serial number on it. 

Request additional support for unlocking your device.    -

You used to be able to take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store (if it has reopened) and have them remove the ID. This may have changed, so call the store before going to make sure they can help.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple.   -

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 8:58 AM in response to stefano.helsinki

A factory reset and using a new Apple ID probably won't work because you will get an. Activation Lock.

If you or your mother are/is the original owner, contact Apple. Apple can remove the ID  if provided the required paperwork to include the original purchase receipt with the serial number on it. 

Request additional support for unlocking your device.    -

You used to be able to take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store (if it has reopened) and have them remove the ID. This may have changed, so call the store before going to make sure they can help.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple.   -

Apr 26, 2022 10:40 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you Eric,

it was 8 years ago. I don't recall if I bought it for her but probably she still has the original packaging which should have a label with S/N and IMEI on it (mine has). However, the original purchase receipt will not be available as it was probably a XMAS gift. If they could check the IP in the Internet log, they could see it was in her home all the time (not stolen). Anyway, I will ask if she has the box and maybe call the shop ahead (in Italy). thx

How to unblock an old iPad? (ID blocked and no access to email)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.