Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between 'Rules' and Smart Mailbox'

What is the difference between 'Rules' and Smart Mailbox'.

When would you use one over the other?

Posted on May 27, 2019 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 5:55 AM

Smart Mailboxes just displays messages that meet the given criteria. It doesn't move them, alter them, forward them, or do anything else to them. If you just want to see all the emails from Aunt Mae, then you can create a Smart Mailbox that does that.

If you want to move all the messages from Aunt Mae into a new mailbox, or mark them in blue, you do that with a Rule.

Rules only act automatically on messages that enter the inbox. Otherwise, you have to manually run the rule.

Smart Mailboxes just display things that match a criteria. Rules can perform actions on the messages that match a criteria.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2019 5:55 AM in response to Red0

Smart Mailboxes just displays messages that meet the given criteria. It doesn't move them, alter them, forward them, or do anything else to them. If you just want to see all the emails from Aunt Mae, then you can create a Smart Mailbox that does that.

If you want to move all the messages from Aunt Mae into a new mailbox, or mark them in blue, you do that with a Rule.

Rules only act automatically on messages that enter the inbox. Otherwise, you have to manually run the rule.

Smart Mailboxes just display things that match a criteria. Rules can perform actions on the messages that match a criteria.

May 27, 2019 5:59 AM in response to Barney-15E

Great thanks! That helps make it clearer.

I want to find a way to manage my emails better, and keep them organised. I would like to set up a system whereby as they come in to my inbox, for them to be distributed to the correct folders or be deleted instantly.

Would 'Rules' be the best option for this then?

Thanks heaps!

Difference between 'Rules' and Smart Mailbox'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.