You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting one file in a time machine backup

A Mal/DrodZp-A virus was flagged on one of the Time Machine Backups on an External HD.

I realise this virus is related to Windows OS, but I would like to delete it anyway - also every time I use Time Machine the Mal/DrodZp-A file is detected by the virus software. Unfortunately, the individual file can't be deleted as there was a warning "The operation can't be completed because backup items can't be modified". I would be interested in how to delete this virus file PIC036049416-JPG.zip.69931694-d5c5-4ea9-be0f-o989-3c76e4ef which has been identified as Mal/DrodZp-A. 

The route is: HD/Backup.backup.db/steven’s Macbook Pro/2019-04-05-000501/Macintosh HD/cleverfiles/hlink.ref/PIC036049416-JPG.zip.69931694-d5c5-4ea9-be0f-o989-3c76e4ef

The advice I have received is that I must delete the entire 2019-04-05 backup. Is there an alternative way to delete only the specific file rather than the entire 2019-04-05 backup.

Would welcome any ideas. Thank you.

OS Mojave 10.14.5

Posted on May 27, 2019 11:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 11:18 AM

Using Finder, go to the parent folder that contains the files or folder you want to delete. Then enter Time Machine by using the dock icon or the menu bar.

Use the Time Machine interface to selectively remove items from your backup.

Once the Time Machine interface has loaded, highlight the files or folder you want to delete from the backup and click the widget icon in the Finder’s toolbar. 

Choose “Delete All Backups…” and once you give permission they will be removed from your Time Machine Archive!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 27, 2019 11:18 AM in response to Memoire

Using Finder, go to the parent folder that contains the files or folder you want to delete. Then enter Time Machine by using the dock icon or the menu bar.

Use the Time Machine interface to selectively remove items from your backup.

Once the Time Machine interface has loaded, highlight the files or folder you want to delete from the backup and click the widget icon in the Finder’s toolbar. 

Choose “Delete All Backups…” and once you give permission they will be removed from your Time Machine Archive!

May 27, 2019 12:29 PM in response to wariswar

Much Appreciated help 'waiswar' your recommendation worked perfectly.

After highlighting the folder, then entering Time Machine, navigating in the folder to PIC036049416-JPG.zip.69931694-d5c5-4ea9-be0f-o989-3c76e4ef file then highlighting it followed by choosing delete from the menu, the file disappeared from the folder. I couldn't find the file in the trash - so I assumed it was directly deleted and not via the trash.

Thank you for teaching this very effective technique.

May 27, 2019 2:39 PM in response to babowa

Yes 'babowa', as I mentioned in my initial post "I realise this virus is related to Windows OS".

I don't open any Spam e-mails, that may contain as in this instance Mal/DrodZp-A virus, but delete these e-mails using Mail's 'Delete Junk Mail' without opening them. The AV picks up these Mal/DrodZp-A virus' even without opening the related e-mail; the AV shows the route to the offending virus file, so they can be deleted.

It seems Mal/DrodZp-A virus of a previous spam had not been fully deleted by deleting Spam e-mails and seemed to have not been deleted together with the associated e-mail in the past, thus the Mal/DrodZp-A virus was showing up in a past Time Machine backup that was triggered by a Subsequent Time Machine Backup running.

I don't think it's a good idea to open Spam mail that has potential to have virus based attachments in order to delete such attachments.

Any potential future threat to the Mac System will not be addressed by Apple until after it has first been identified, as has happened in the past. Caution is always the best course of action.

Deleting one file in a time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.