Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanner and OS X EL CAPITAN 10.11.6

I cannot access my scanner from the HP dock, but I can via SYSTEM PREFERENCES/PRINTERS & SCANNERS. From there I can do the normal scan to print etc. I have been unable to find a way to access the scanner via the HP dock. The printer works through the dock, just not the scanner.

Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 27, 2019 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 11:31 PM

To be clear, are you able to bring up the Mac's build-in Image Capture app (using Spotlight search) and have it actually scan a document? If so, the iMac itself along with the drivers are working fine and it would appear to be an issue with the HP scanning software app.

And if that's the case the best option is to download the HP scanning software app (for your particular model) from HP's website as long as it says it's compatible with your OS X version.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2019 11:31 PM in response to talksalot49

To be clear, are you able to bring up the Mac's build-in Image Capture app (using Spotlight search) and have it actually scan a document? If so, the iMac itself along with the drivers are working fine and it would appear to be an issue with the HP scanning software app.

And if that's the case the best option is to download the HP scanning software app (for your particular model) from HP's website as long as it says it's compatible with your OS X version.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

May 28, 2019 7:15 AM in response to rcosta887

No, I go directly to System Preferences, Printers & Scanners, double click scanner and I am able to scan. While in the HP Dock I can access the printer and use it, but when attempting to use the scanner (from the dock) I recieve an error message (HP Scan cannot be opened because of a problem). What that "problem" is I have no idea!

Now, the frustrating thing is that it had been working, then one day it stopped and gave me the above error message.

I will consider your suggestion, but why would it work from System Preferences and not from the HP Dock?

Scanner and OS X EL CAPITAN 10.11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.