Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scanning in 12.3.1

So I have an iMac running 12.2.1 and a new Mac Studio running 12.3.1.

On the iMac, I can easily add my network printer, and from the Printer and Scanners System Prefs, launch the Scanning Software. Clicking on the printer in question in the left hand pane shows a PRINT and a SCAN menu item to the right, just as it has for years. Clicking on the Scan item brings up the scanner software.

On 12.3.1, I've added the same networked printer, but there is no "Print" and "Scan" menus to the right. What happened to the ability to Scan in 12.3.1?

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 9:08 PM

Yes, you had it right. Wanted to confirm you were using the named printer description.

If you open Image Capture, is your printer listed?

And can you confirm you installed the software for your printer?

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3540/s/SPT_C11CC31201

specifically:

ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.9 for Image Capture 

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 9:08 PM in response to Jeffrey Lee

Yes, you had it right. Wanted to confirm you were using the named printer description.

If you open Image Capture, is your printer listed?

And can you confirm you installed the software for your printer?

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3540/s/SPT_C11CC31201

specifically:

ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.9 for Image Capture 

Apr 8, 2022 7:02 PM in response to Michael C. Blasco

So while I THINK I understand your question, I'm not 100% sure that I do. In 12.3.1, just like in 12.2.1, I go to the System Preferences>Printers and Scanners, then press the "+" button. The system searches for printers(mine is connected via Ethernet), it finds my printer, I select it from the list(its the only printer in my network), and then at the bottom, where the "USE" popup is, my exact model name and printer is listed, so I just click ADD at the bottom.

I can print... but I can not scan.

Apr 10, 2022 6:13 AM in response to Jeffrey Lee

Apple stopped distributing printer updates a few years ago (may have been around when Mojave or Catalina were released). You can understand there were thousands of printer makes & models around, many of which were old and had drivers that the printer vendors never updated for more current releases of macOS. It was also an ongoing struggle even to keep current printer models updated for new releases of macOS. Further, I believe that starting with Big Sur the only printer driver included in macOS is the basic Airprint driver.

scanning in 12.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.