Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I scan to a foldr on desktop

I have two similar problems with my 2010 iMac 10.13.6 which may be linked.

The first is that I am trying to scan to a folder on the desktop using a Xerox 6505 printer scanner but the scanner comes up with an error message " Unable to find path". I have defined the iMac Ip address in the scanner along with the path to the folder /Users/julianhyde/desktop/scan

The second problem is that I am trying to send a firmware upgrade file to the same printer scanner. I have the .prn file on my desktop but when using the Terminal command "Ip - D" followed by the IP address of the printer and the .prn file name and path the iMac responds "Unable to find file".

Printing to the 6505 has never given any issues from the iMac as well as an MacBook Air and MacBook Pro laptops.

The 6505 and iMac are connected to the same network using ethernet to a Apple Time Machine and then to the broadband router.

I have tried Apple support with no success!

Any suggestions would be welcome

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 2:14 PM

error message " Unable to find path". I have defined the iMac Ip address in the scanner along with the path to the folder /Users/julianhyde/desktop/scan

Have you turned on File Sharing on your Mac (System Preferences > Sharing) and in addition turn on Windows File Sharing. The 6505 User Guide has instructions on p.50 about how to do this.

https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/product/workcentre-6505/documentation?platform=macOS10_15&language=en

In my experience commercial units like the 6505 have always been bears to get working with networked computers. Regarding scanning the only way I ever got machines like this working was to have them email the scans to the user.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 2:14 PM in response to JulianRH

error message " Unable to find path". I have defined the iMac Ip address in the scanner along with the path to the folder /Users/julianhyde/desktop/scan

Have you turned on File Sharing on your Mac (System Preferences > Sharing) and in addition turn on Windows File Sharing. The 6505 User Guide has instructions on p.50 about how to do this.

https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/product/workcentre-6505/documentation?platform=macOS10_15&language=en

In my experience commercial units like the 6505 have always been bears to get working with networked computers. Regarding scanning the only way I ever got machines like this working was to have them email the scans to the user.

How can I scan to a foldr on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.