Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB ports in MacBook Air not recognising all devices

I bought a new MacBook Air (the basic model) on 14 May operating Mojave V. 10.14.5 It has 2 USB ports which had been working fine.

On 21 May, my external hard drive was plugged in to back up the Time Machine. (I plug it in every time I use the laptop from home as a matter of course.) It had been working perfectly since I got the new laptop (so about a week, updating pretty regularly) and done some backups on that day but then the message came up "disk not ejected properly", even though I hadn't ejected it, turned off the laptop, etc. (I had just been typing in Pages - very straightforward.)

Since then, neither of the USB ports will detect:

• external hard drive (also NOT showing up in disk utility)
  • compact camera
  • external speaker
  • USB headphones (these do actually show up in System Preferences/Sound but they do not pick up input/output)

(The USB ports ARE detecting other external devices such as iPad, iPhone, Kindle, USB sticks, printer)

I have:

• checked all devices in both the ports
  • tried 3 different cables across 3 devices, with no effect
  • check power cables for all 3 devices - all working fine
  • Googled for answers, but most come down to sorting it out in Disk Utility, but as I said, the drive isn't showing up there

I don't have another Mac I can test the devices on.

I am not technically minded, but it does seem to be a problem with one type of external connection, as the cables are interchangeable. The only thing I can think of is that there was an OS update about that time which might have caused an issue. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on May 29, 2019 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2019 2:02 AM

Try reset the SMC following steps in How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

"How to know if you need to reset the SMC"

"Your MacBook or MacBook Pro doesn't recognize external devices that are connected to its built-in USB-C port."

Similar questions

2 replies

USB ports in MacBook Air not recognising all devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.