Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printer connection

I am trying to connect my WindowsHighSierra Mac version 10.13.6 to a Canon MP460 printer, and it is not recognizing the printer. Canon says the driver is built in to my laptop. Help!

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 30, 2019 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2019 10:31 AM

When Canon wants to get you off the phone, they tell you that the printer driver is built into the operating system. Nothing could be further from the truth, as the last Canon printer drivers for the MP460 were issued for Mountain Lion and earlier in 2017. Canon shows now driver support for any newer release of macOS after 10.8.5. You can check at their MP640 site.

You can download and install the Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for OS X from Apple, and it does have Canon MP640 scan and print support, but it was released in July 2017, and has not been updated. Nearly two year old drivers that may or may not work in High Sierra, or Mojave. Give it a try. After you install, then Reset your Print System.

If paragraph two is a bust, you may try installing Gutenprint-5.2.15-pre1.dmg which has 64-bit driver support for the Canon MP460. I have verified in the News.txt file that the MP640 series is supported. Apply the last sentence of paragraph 2 again. This release has again, placed an uninstaller in the .dmg.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2019 10:31 AM in response to 9560W

When Canon wants to get you off the phone, they tell you that the printer driver is built into the operating system. Nothing could be further from the truth, as the last Canon printer drivers for the MP460 were issued for Mountain Lion and earlier in 2017. Canon shows now driver support for any newer release of macOS after 10.8.5. You can check at their MP640 site.

You can download and install the Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for OS X from Apple, and it does have Canon MP640 scan and print support, but it was released in July 2017, and has not been updated. Nearly two year old drivers that may or may not work in High Sierra, or Mojave. Give it a try. After you install, then Reset your Print System.

If paragraph two is a bust, you may try installing Gutenprint-5.2.15-pre1.dmg which has 64-bit driver support for the Canon MP460. I have verified in the News.txt file that the MP640 series is supported. Apply the last sentence of paragraph 2 again. This release has again, placed an uninstaller in the .dmg.

printer connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.